Summer Leadership Workshop
July 16-18, 2018 and July 23-25, 2018
DISCOVER THE POWER OF NONFICTION WRITING!
Harnessing the power of nonfiction writing instructional tools
In 3 days of professional development, participants learn to integrate 3 target nonfiction writing strategies that impact student performance on end-of-year and end-of-course tests like Georgia Milestones.
1) Paired Texts Assessment Packets
- Content-rich texts that extend power standards of ELA, science and social studies standards
- Informational, narrative and opinion/argument genre
- Proven pacing guide for using the packets
- Setup, prewriting, revision and evaluation modules that finetune students practice with the writing process
- Mastering responses to texts in three writing genres
- Significant gains in student performance:
- Number of beginning writers approaches zero.
- Number of distinguished writers doubles and triples.
2) Applied Grammar Online
- Computer managed assignments, feedback, grading and reporting.
- Provides precision keyboarding for fluent responses on Milestones extended writing
- Helps students acquire mature sentence patterns of distinguished writing for Milestones
- Oral, kinesthetic and written practice with sentence patterns that show up in speech and writing
- Significant gains in student performance
- Beginning and developing writers produce proficient writing.
- Proficient writers produce distinguished writing.
3) Frequent Writing on Demand
- Boosts student scores on Milestones math, science and social studies
- Works effectively for lesson activators or closes
- Empowers students to self-assess and peer-respond
- Teaches students to us the language of literature, math, science and social studies
- How to help teachers prepare for Milestones more efficiently
- Which features of these tools impact which items on Milestones
- Which performance standards on TKES best tracks progress with these tools
- How weekly recognition of student performance best fits into your administrative routine
- What leader practices have the greatest impact on student engagement
- How micro-teaching practices increase teacher confidence
There will be time for you to …
- Sketch a master schedule that includes these nonfiction writing tools
- Create an annual calendar to support teachers in using these tools
- Create a schedule of student and teacher recognition to establish and maintain momentum in implementation
You will leave with a plan for promoting proficient and distinguished writing using nonfiction writing!