This teacher package includes a Paired Texts Packet teacher manual, 4 student packets, and 4 teacher packets that move through three 30-minute sessions per week for three weeks. Two packets prompt student to write in the informational genre, one in argument genre, and one in narrative genre. It also includes an interactive
- Teacher orientation video for individual teacher / parent training or whole school Professional Development.
- Student orientation video for guiding students through the first three sessions of the Paired Texts Packets routine.
The strength of the teacher manual is its full integration of reading and writing in each instructional session. Students write in each session as much as they read.
- In weeks 1-2, the packets support differentiated reading comprehension at four levels: literal, inferential, evaluative, and applied comprehension.
- In week 3, the Prewriting, Revision, and Evaluation module help students respond to both texts using the writing process with ease and insight.
The teacher’s manual includes:
- A sample script we use to demonstrate effective use of each session
- Teacher model of writing for each reading and writing activity
- Writing modules for
- Setup – essential vocabulary and sample Word Family exercise
- Prewriting – six standard advance organizers for extended written responses
- Revision – six concrete strategies
- Evaluation – student-friendly analytic scoring rubrics for argument, informational, and narrative genres
- Templates for creating charts – Picture Makers, Picture Killers, Voice, Pictures, and Flow.
- Tell us how you use your adopted online writing system or Google Classroom to support students’ constructed and extended responses to texts.
For grade 5, the four paired texts target key state and national standards of ELA, science, and social studies.
Grade 5 PTP content, text titles, genre, and theme